Increasing Acceptance but Data Security continues to be a deterrent in implementation of BYOD Policies: Wisdomjobs.com survey
- Nearly 30% professionals feel BYOD increases their productivity significantly
Chandigarh, May 18, 2016: Wisdomjobs.com, one of India’s leading end to end online recruitment and career solutions portals, today released the outcome/results of its survey – Impact of BYOD policies on productivity. The extensive survey was conducted across the country in 8 cities; Hyderabad, NCR, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bangalore, Pune & Ahmedabad, covering the IT, ITeS, Telecom, Education, Media, BFSI, Engineering and Manufacturing sectors. The Survey also throws light on the views of implementation of Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies at the workplaces and the benefits associated with it.
There has been an increasing acceptance of BYOD policies amongst the corporate world as they play a critical role in improving employee productivity, especially through the usage of smart-devices for work. BYOD policies use a risk-based approach to define data that is and isn’t allowed to leave the internal network. Therefore, the corporates need to be clear about their BYOD protocols before implementing the policy. While in majority of cases, usage outside the network does not go beyond emails and presentations, sensitive information such as financial or proprietary data must be subject to strict controls. There is always a risk of data loss when employees are sending sensitive documents to their personal devices, or making copies and storing them across multiple devices.
Ajay Kolla, Founder and CEO – Wisdomjobs.com said, “With BYOD policies gaining increasing traction in organizations, companies are opening up to the benefits of allowing their employees to carry their own devices to work. Additionally, the burden of supplying, supporting and maintaining the devices is shifting from the organization to the employees, who in turn are more comfortable working on devices of their choice. It also does away with the time wasted in switching between devices when an employee is at work.”
Below are the detailed findings of the survey
The employer viewpoint:
- More than 25% of companies surveyed have BYOD polices in place
- 20% of the companies said they are not sure of the fallouts of implementing a BYOD policy
- Nearly 50% of the companies with BYOD policies said that they had sufficient safeguards to minimize the risk of data loss while 20% felt that their data security policies could be improved
- While all companies with BYOD policies offered support for Android devices, only 15% of those surveyed supported BYOD on iOS or Blackberry
- The industries that have the highest prevalence of BYOD are IT/ITeS, Media, Education and Telecom
- Among the companies that have not implemented BYOD, more than 70% mentioned data security as the biggest constraint nearly 20% mentioned telecom expense management as a concern
- As a whole the major concerns regarding BYOD as mentioned by companies participating in the survey were: Data leakage or loss (70%), Unauthorized access (50%), Network security (35%), and Cost management (22%)
- Nearly 40% of the companies opined that BYOD policies can result in increased productivity
Over 39 % respondents believe that they need to follow the organization security protocols when they work under the restrictions of a BYOD policy.
What the employees say:
- The most common use of BYOD devices by employees was for: email (90%), calendars and contacts access (65%), document access (40%), and access to the company’s intranet (35%)
- 32% of those surveyed felt that bringing their own device allows them flexibility in their role
- 28% opined that BYOD increases their productivity
- 23% felt that it increases work satisfaction
- 20% say that they are more resourceful in solving problems with their own devices
- 16% of those surveyed said that they are more likely to work for organizations that have BYOD policies
- 43% of the respondents said that they as they never transferred work-related data to personal devices; 29 % transfer only non-sensitive data to their personal devices while only 15% transfer all kinds of data to their personal devices
- While nearly 40% of those surveyed have experienced a security issue on their devices, only 30% of them felt that they have an obligation to inform their company about it
While companies view the BYOD policy as a necessary evil in some cases, and an unnecessary risk in other instances, a significant number of employees differ in their viewpoints and are seeing the benefits of implementing it. From productivity benefits to a hassle-free working experience, there are several reasons why employees are in favor of companies implementing BYOD policies.
About Wisdom Jobs
Started in 2010 and headquartered in Hyderabad, Wisdomjobs.com is one of India’s leading job portals providing end-to-end recruitment solutions to organizations and career opportunities to individuals. Wisdomjobs.com is India’s 1st job portal with an integrated online skill testing & rating system – Pragnya Meter. Within a short span of 5 years, Wisdomjobs.com has developed a database of over 30 million profiles spanning experience levels, skill sets and industries, thereby providing a huge pool of relevant candidates to various organizations. Wisdomjobs.com is an ISO 9001:2008 certified company with a clientele exceeding 3500 customers including some of the prominent names of the industry. For more details visit http://www.wisdomjobs.com/